The Yanoviak lab in the Department of Biology at the University of Louisville is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate to participate in various field-based studies in Panama. The postdoc primarily will oversee field research for an NSF-funded project concerning the effects of lightning on tropical trees and their associates, but will have the freedom to develop independent projects. The position is available for at least two years, subject to annual reviews.
The following qualifications are essential:
- A PhD in biology, ecology, entomology, or related field by the start date;
- Solid analytical background and competency with R;
- Spanish language skills (proficiency in verbal and written communication);
- Willingness to spend 4 or more months in Panama each year;
- Prior field experience and ability to conduct physically demanding work in a tropical setting; and
- Excellent time management and communication skills.
The following qualifications are helpful:
- Previous experience managing the activities of undergraduate field assistants;
- A solid record of writing productivity, including publications and proposals;
- Field experience specifically in forestry or tropical ecology; and
- Experience conducting K-12 or public outreach.
Applicants should submit a single PDF file including a brief cover letter, 1-page statement of research interests, curriculum vitae, and contact information for 3 references online via the University of Louisville Human Resources portal (https://tinyurl.com/yxx5yxno) or http://www.higheredjobs.com (Job ID 38473).
Questions should be addressed to Dr. Steve Yanoviak – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see the following publications for project background:
- Yanoviak, S. P. 2013. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4614-7161-5_15
- Yanoviak, S. P., et al. 2017. doi: 10.1002/ece3.3095
- Yanoviak, S. P., et al. 2019. doi: 10.1111/nph.16260
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The University of Louisville is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity, Americans with Disabilities Employer. We are a vibrant and inclusive community, and we actively seek candidates who are interested in contributing to diversity and equal opportunity within higher education.